South-facing, between basalt mounds and alluvial valleys, the Hérault Méditerranée “terroir” is primarily winegrowing. The vines that cover the surrounding countryside produce very aromatic wines, spread over 3 Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée (AOC) (registered designation of origin) and 5 Indications Géographiques Protégées (IGP) (protected geographical indication) labels. On the markets or directly from the producers and the wine route tourist map, discover these wines that pleasantly accompany our local produce.
Wines with rich character
Depending on the grape varieties and designations of origin, the wines will suit all your tastes:
- Picpoul de Pinet : white wine with aromas of acacia flowers and hawthorn to be savoured with fish or seafood.
- “Clairette du Languedoc” and “Clairette d’Adissan” : dry or sweet white wine. To be savoured during the aperitif, with foie gras or cheese.
- “Coteaux du Languedoc”: red wines, to accompany meat, poultry and cheese. Often served in the best French and International restaurants, the Coteaux du Languedoc represent the excellence of the Hérault wine industry.
- “Vins de Pays” (table wine), including tasty rosé wines. To discover accompanied by grilled meat or a picnic. Be tempted by the Vin Pays d’Oc (Oc table wine) !
- “Overripe grapes”: tese wines enhance the sweet, savoury flavours of the famous “petits pâtés” de Pézenas (small mutton pies), the sweet onion confit from Lézignan-la-Cèbe and the roasted fig flowers of Nézignan l’Evêque.
Wine tasting stays, taste the local Hérault wines
The wines from the Agde area are meant to be shared, providing intense sensorial discoveries. Choose your formula!
- Wine grower walks in the mornings – walking trails, accessible to all, from April to October, every week from mid June to mid September.
- Afternoons to discover a wine cooperative followed by wine tasting.
- The traditional “vin nouveau” (new wine) festival, held in October every year in the heart of the town of Agde.
- Sale, tasting, and in summer, introduction to wine tasting in the Caves Richemer.
Vinocap, taste all the wines from the South: the not-to-be-missed event!
The Cap d’Agde welcomes VINOCAP : the largest open-air wine tourism exhibition in the South of France, offering around a hundred producers-exhibitors, mainly from the 19 towns in the Hérault Méditerranée territory and the most prestigious winegrowers in Languedoc-Roussillon.
On the agenda : discover local Hérault products – 3 days including events around the universe of wine, introductions to wine tasting with a “sommelier” (wine expert), exhibitions, stands…
To do : “Wine discovery • Cap d’Agde – Pézenas – Montagnac
The wine discovery space located at Montagnac allows you to discover the history and the heritage of the vineyard, from its introduction by the Greeks 2600 years ago. Various multimedia tools relate this history. An optical theatre presents wine-making in a Gallo-Roman vineyard. An e-book reveals the role of Abbeys in the Middle Ages. An interactive map allows you to discover the wine-making heritage (châteaux, cooperative wine cellars, designations…) in a chronological and geographical approach.
In the Tourism Offices of Agde, Cap d’Agde and Pézenas, the wine tourism electronic information point and the map invite you to discover the vineyards, the cellars and the wine estates, and the wines, of course! All the addresses and productions of the estates and cooperative wine cellars (about 90) which are open to the public are marked on the map of wine tourism in the Hérault Méditerranée region.
Alcohol abuse is harmful for your health. Drink responsibly.
Did you know?